Tunde Raji -
July 23, 2017
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future.
In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cash Transfer Officer (MAIDA)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities. In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives.
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups. Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding. Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Cash Transfer Officer is responsible to oversee cash transfer beneficiary selection processes, registration and disbursement of cash transfers, follow-up monitoring and handling of complaints.
- S/he is responsible for assisting in the implementation of cash transfer programming activities in ten intervention communities in Borno State.
- S/he will supervise all projects, project selection and planning, project assets, local government and community liaison work, monitoring and payment. S/he may also support other livelihood sector activities
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Plan and ensure the effective implementation of cash transfer programming (CTP) in ten assigned communities in Borno State.
- Contribute to all CTP related field work, including community mobilization, beneficiary identification and registration, distributions and monitoring.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Coordinate payment procedures, including documentation, approval and actual payment.
- Maintain all documentation relating to CTP activities required to ensure accountability to beneficiaries and the donor.
- Oversee administrative matters relating directly to cash transfer activities including reconciliation with cash-out agents following distributions.
- Contribute to effective program reporting and monitoring and evaluation systems in coordination with M&E team members and other program staff.
- Prepare monthly cash requirement forecast for CTP activities.
- Provide information on CTP activities as requested by supervisors and the M&E team.
- Support orientation for all new staff on CTP.
- Report on any problems encountered in the field such as project participant complaints, local authority interference and security threats to MC staff and activities. Coordinate with MC Security Officer and supervisors on any threats to MC staff and activities.
- Follow-up on incidents and security threats in areas of operation.
- Conduct self both professionally and personally in a manner that brings credit to Mercy Corps and does not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in Nigeria.
- Carry out all other duties as assigned or required.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in relevant field required (Accounting, Business Administration, Banking & Finance)
- 3 years of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian programs required; general program management experience preferred.
- Prior experience implementing distributions is required, preferably in a non-camp setting.
- Experience with CTP or other community micro-projects strongly preferred.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria.
- Experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills.
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri is required.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Follow Me On Social Media