Tunde Raji -
July 23, 2017
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II.
Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs.
We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities.
We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender and Protection Adviser
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Duration: Short Term Contract
Type of Post: Unaccompanied
- CARE promotes the coordination of and strongly advocates for the mainstreaming of protection, including GBV mitigation, in its key sectors (sexual and reproductive health (SRH), food security and nutrition (FS&N), WASH and Shelter) in a humanitarian emergency setting in accordance to the CARE International mandate, policies and guidelines, as well as the IASC Gender Handbook (review pending) and the IASC Guidelines for Integrating Gender-Based Violence Interventions in Humanitarian Action (2015; the ‘GBV Guidelines’).
- CARE is seeking a Gender and Protection Adviser who will work to establish strategies, sustainable technical guidelines and mechanisms in collaboration with the other Sector Specialists to guide CARE Nigeria programming in areas of gender and protection.
- In addition, the job intends to identify gaps and to build capacity of CARE Nigeria staff and partners to continue and replicate her/his work for the improvement of program quality and impact.
- CARE is committed to ensuring respect of the Protection Principles set out in the Sphere Handbook (2011). The position will be based in Maiduguri.
- Preparations, Orientation and Priorities Setting
- Information, Assessments, Analysis and Monitoring
- Program and Strategy Development Support
- Capacity-building (including training, ToT, mentoring and one-on-one support, as is most effective)
- Coordination, Advocacy and Learning
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in social studies or human rights or international humanitarian law.
- 3-5 years of progressive overseas experience in humanitarian and development programs
- Substantial experience leading in gender and protection sectors in large and complex humanitarian and development programs
- Demonstrated experience in gender and protection sectors
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic gender and protection interventions
- Prior experience in INGOs working environment/system will be a strong asset
- Excellent written, oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Proficient analytical skills that demonstrate an understanding of the current concepts, priorities, and issues in program monitoring, data collection and evaluation
- Previous experience on protection/GBV in medium-large scale emergencies (three years minimum)
- Familiar with humanitarian programming and inter-agency coordination systems
- Proven experience combining formal expertise on protection and GBV mainstreaming and gender equality with experience of applying these concretely to specific humanitarian program sectors, plans, policies and processes. In particular, demonstrated experience in mainstreaming protection and GBV in at least one of CARE’s key sectors (WASH, Shelter, SRH and Food Security & Nutrition)
- Proven experience in managing protection/GBV-specific projects
- Knowledge of training tools and methods and proven experience delivering training on protection and GBV-responsive programs
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online